Preferred Service Models
In light of the trending cloud infrastructure conversions, PeopleSoft on-premise customers are left wondering if they’re falling behind with today’s cutting edge technology. Oracle now offers PeopleSoft customers the ability to host all of their environments on the Oracle Cloud. The Oracle Cloud is a computing service that offers applications, storage, network, and services managed by a network of Oracle data centers. Deploying onto the cloud offers many benefits to your enterprise. Its design supports mission-critical applications through a robust and powerful network and infrastructure on its cloud platform.
In this type of service model, the cloud provider furnishes the infrastructure for software, networking, storage, and computing hardware. This would allow a business to transfer all or part of their on-site utilization of a data center framework to the cloud.
The cloud provider is responsible for owning and managing the infrastructure resources, for which the business pays for those resources that it utilizes.
This service provides a cloud platform for your business to develop, deploy, and stream applications without the need for supporting the underlying infrastructure. PaaS is customarily preconfigured to your unique business needs to facilitate the smooth deployment of your applications.
- Streamlining Maintenance Activities
- Reducing Administrative Overheads
- Improving Response Times
- Reducing Manual Errors
- Automating Pre/ Post-Maintenance Tasks With On-Demand Capacity
PeopleSoft on-premise customers can use their existing licenses on the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), without any additional licensing requirements. They can also deploy additional instances for Development, Testing, and Training without any extra cost.
Oracle Cloud hosting offers a lower cost of ownership, up to 38% less than running PeopleSoft on-premise and 52% less than other competing cloud providers.
Substantial long-term benefits include:
- Reduced Downtime Impact – System outages impact not only revenue but productivity as well. It requires additional staff resources to assist with remediating the unexpected issues. Cloud deployment ensures redundancy by operating back-up servers and multichannel network connectivity. It will sustain the system availability should the underlying hardware fail. This also eliminates the risk of a single point of failure (SPOF) within your infrastructure.
- Capital Cost Savings – Operating on cloud-based applications ensures that the infrastructure functions on the most current technology, sans the distractions of costs or management. The savings also incur from not having to upgrade your hardware and software licenses.
- Dwindling Operational Costs – Cloud deployment results in you incurring declining operating costs over time. The need for maintaining highly skilled IT support staff, as well as running a physical location, diminishes.
- The Human Factor – The principal cause of IT issues or outages trace back to human error. High Availability (HA) systems require configuration and change administration, which can be extremely costly mistakes if occur. An example is the 2019 Capital One breach, where over 100 million customer’s account information was compromised. The hack occurred due to an employee made misconfiguration within the cloud infrastructure, which made the system susceptible to being hacked. To neutralize this risk, Oracle offers the Cloud Manager, which is a configurable management tool to assist with deployment and managing environments. It ensures that system upgrades and updates are efficiently delivered. This tool also tracks and quickly identifies all administered changes.
The financial rewards of transitioning critical PeopleSoft applications to the cloud include minimal time, low deployment costs, decreased security risk, and reduced staff required for management. This subscription-based model allows for scalability as the demands of the business change.
With customers now facing incalculable technological challenges stemming from aging hardware and in-house data center infrastructure, outsourced services to outdated security models, housing your PeopleSoft environment on the cloud grants you a greater modicum of control over your existing antiquated solution.
PeopleSoft on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
Oracle’s Cloud service offers a robust, unified framework that utilizes ‘best-in-class’ cloud strategies. These serve to harmoniously migrate your PeopleSoft on-premise infrastructure and applications to the cloud platform. Oracle also employs an Autonomous Database which runs natively on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. It provides workload-optimized cloud services for transaction processing and data warehousing.
Customers can utilize Oracle’s Cloud Infrastructure to:
- Receive PeopleSoft Updates – Oracle Cloud Manager allows for seamless deployment of PeopleSoft updates which are stored on the cloud. The Oracle Cloud Manager automates upgrades and tools-patching, causing manual enhancements to become obsolete.
- Ability To Test Your Database – Customers tend to require the agility of multiple PeopleSoft environments for various development and QA projects. This usually results in the inefficient utilization of hardware procured specifically for this purpose. By hosting their environment on the cloud, Customers can easily test and then migrate updates to their PeopleSoft application using virtual machines in the Oracle Compute Cloud (Oracle Cloud). The interfusion of PeopleSoft Cloud Architecture coupled with PeopleSoft utilities results in a more efficient and optimized testing environment.
- Monitor PeopleSoft Performance – Oracle Cloud offers the Oracle Application Performance Monitoring Cloud Service and the Oracle Management Cloud as monitoring tools. By overseeing all critical services and servers for real-time information, the Cloud Portal provides customizable real-time notifications and alerts.
- Backup And Recovery Concerns Mitigated – Disaster Recovery, Database Redundancy, Tools Patching, and PeopleSoft Instance Cloning are built into Cloud Infrastructure and PeopleSoft Cloud Manager. This allows the cloud to offer configurable backup scheduling and alleviate limited storage concerns. It affords you the ability to amend backup frequency without the help of your DBA. Since Oracle invests millions of dollars in its infrastructure, disaster recovery while hosted on the cloud will be more robust and cost-beneficial than on your own.
- Enhanced Security – The security landscape is evolving, with 62% of businesses experiencing phishing and social engineering attack in 2018(1), while 68% of business leaders feel their cybersecurity risks are increasing(2). This unrelenting threat necessitates that organizations employ enhanced security measures to try and thwart potential threats. PeopleSoft DB tends to be vulnerable to internal and external security threats and breaches due to limited data encryption. Therefore, PeopleSoft customers can benefit from Oracle’s state-of-the-art information, database, application, infrastructure, and network security.
Oracle formulated the PeopleSoft Cloud Manager to streamline the migration of PeopleSoft on-premise applications into the cloud. PeopleSoft customers can retain their core configurations and customizations by “lifting and shifting” their environment to OCI.
Since PeopleSoft software architecture is inherently cloud-friendly, it facilitates the smooth migration between development, testing, and production on the cloud. It even allows for third-party products that customers currently use non-Oracle databases to be easily transitioned over. Also, the cloud’s architecture is engineered to effortlessly allow PeopleSoft customers’ to utilize their data for development and testing.
Oracle Cloud Resources
Oracle proves to be a trusted and reliable implementation partner by offering the following resources to streamline the transition of your PeopleSoft on-premise applications to the cloud:
- PeopleSoft Cloud Manager – Is a configurable framework that is governed by business rule, used to automate the management of your PeopleSoft on-premise environment on the cloud. It is an application available on the Oracle Cloud Marketplace.
- Oracle Managed Cloud Services Team (OMCS) – Is a team with years of experience in managing PeopleSoft on the cloud platform. Their expertise is geared towards providing complete lifecycle management of your PeopleSoft application on the cloud.
- Oracle Cloud Marketplace – Is an online store that offers a diverse collection of trusted and innovative apps and services to enhance your business management on the cloud. Business Categories encompass marketing, sales, customer service, and talent management, while support services can include consulting, implementation, integration, and training.
- Oracle Application Performance Monitoring Cloud Service – This cloud offering provides transparency into your PeopleSoft application’s performance. It supplies the development and operations teams with the necessary information to identify and remediate potential issues. This thereby minimizes the system downtime and customer dissatisfaction.
- Oracle Autonomous Database – This is an upgraded service on the cloud that utilizes Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning to automate database tuning, security, backups, updates, and other routine management tasks while the system is running. This tool eliminates the risk of human error while maximizing efficiency, performance, and security.
Upgrades to your PeopleSoft application can easily be deployed on OCI, while older versions can be manually uploaded.
The entire Oracle Cloud Infrastructure is engineered to contain multiple tiers of security and numerous levels of defense at every hardware and software layer. This superfluous layering of security controls ensures that should one stratum of your environment on the cloud be compromised, the threat will be challenged by additional controls in the next layer.
OCI offers preventative security solutions for static and dynamic data ranging from:
- Data Encryption
- Redaction Of Sensitive Application Layer Data
- Restriction Of Privileged-User Capabilities
- Subsetting Or Masking Of Data In Non-Production Environments
- Monitoring Of User Activities.
The default security settings on the Oracle Cloud ensures that your PeopleSoft system will only be accessible by your internal users and teams. You are therefore responsible for managing your PeopleSoft environment on the cloud unless you have a service provider like the Oracle Managed Cloud Services team.
Should you no longer wish to utilize the cloud to host your environment, it can be removed using the Cloud Manager.
Customer Success Stories
Oracle designed their cloud infrastructure and deployment tools to ensure that the customer’s transition in migrating their PeopleSoft on-premise infrastructure would be a seamless and rewarding experience. The cases below outline these success stories.
- Alliance Data Systems – This $8 billion marketing services firm migrated their entire PeopleSoft on-premise environment from Exadata on-premise to Oracle’s Cloud Infrastructure and Exadata Cloud Service. They expected to see a reduction in their total cost of ownership of $1 million, however, the benefits that they have since realized have far surpassed their expectations. In addition to the TCO savings, the performance of their applications has improved by 30-50%, disk space increased two-fold, memory space by 5 times, and processing capacity by 3 times.
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin (CHW) – Utilized the efficient and affordable lift-and-shift capability available on the Cloud Manager to upgrade their outdated PeopleSoft on-premise infrastructure. CHW has reaped the benefits of cloud deployment by lowering their TCO, decreasing risk from operating on an aged IT system, and improving network efficiency. They revel in the notion of having transformed their IT organization from a cost center into a valuable resource, by focusing now on meaningful business projects rather than fixing issues.
- Covanta – The $2 billion global waste management and energy corporation chose to migrate its PeopleSoft on-premise environment to the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to enhance its security and system control. Covanta’s daily staff access to their internet-facing finance, supply chain, and procurement portals, necessitated stringent peripheral network security to mitigate cyberattacks. To meet this need, they utilize the Oracle Web Application Firewall (WAF). However, they also capitalize on the capabilities of virtual cloud networks to retain control over their networks, configure network firewalls, subnets, and route tables.
- University of Santiago– What’s considered to be one of the oldest universities in Chile, collaborated with a business solutions company to migrate their PeopleSoft on-premise infrastructure to the Oracle Cloud. This deployment was accomplished within 6 months and saved the university 35% by operating in a cloud-hosted environment. Harnessing the capabilities of PeopleTools Fluid UI, resulted in enhanced schedule management and multi-channel enrollment experience for their 23,000 students.
Considering the benefits that these customers have realized from migrating their PeopleSoft on-premise solutions to the Oracle Cloud platform, it makes sense to explore the potential of migrating your ERP system to be hosted on the Cloud as well.
Have more questions? Contact us to receive more information on migrating from PeopleSoft on-premise with the help of Sentinel’s Oracle Cloud Hosting.