What Is PeopleSoft Update Manager?
PeopleSoft Update Manager (PUM) is Oracle’s simplified Lifecycle Management tool for continuous PeopleSoft upgrades. The tool provides quick and easy application patching and ongoing maintenance. PUM is available for those running application versions 9.2.
With PeopleSoft 9.2, patches and bug fixes are delivered through PeopleSoft Images (PI). The PeopleSoft Update Manager uses the PUM PIA application in combination with PeopleSoft Image Updates for customizable and cost-effective application upgrades.
Benefits of PeopleSoft Update Manager
The PeopleSoft maintenance tool provides time and cost-saving benefits when compared to the traditional application upgrade process. Prior to PUM, many organization’s often overlooked PeopleSoft upgrades due to their disruptive impact. However, operating on older PeopleSoft versions hinders the system’s performance and overtime leads to challenges with new functionalities.
Benefits of PeopleSoft Update Manager include:
- Minimizes Time, Effort, and Costs Associated With Major Application Upgrades
- Continuous Image Updates/ Scheduled Releases
- Flexibility with Selective Adoption
- Automatically Includes Dependencies
- Releases Are Cumulative
How PUM Works
The PeopleSoft Update Manager uses three main concepts:
- PeopleSoft Images
- PUM PIA – PeopleSoft Update Manager / PeopleSoft Internet Architecture
- PeopleSoft Change Assistant
PeopleSoft Image Updates are a replacement for traditional bundles and maintenance packs. Oracle offers one PeopleSoft Image per database instance, such as FSCM 9.2 and HCM 9.2. PeopleSoft Images are locally downloaded onto your Oracle VirtualBox virtual machines and serve as the master source environment.
Once the image is downloaded, the PUM PIA application becomes your search tool for generating custom change packages. This process is referred to as selective adoption. You’re provided with flexibility in choosing which functionalities to apply to your applications. Customized change packages are applied to your PeopleSoft environments using the PeopleSoft Change Assistant.
Sentinel’s Instant Compare Reports
Sentinel Software makes the process of upgrading even easier with instant compare reports. With Sentinel, you can view a summary of changes between your source and target environments, analyzing object differences and matches. Sentinel’s compare reports are generated on-demand. They are also complete with drill-down functionalities for pinpointing exact missing object definition names.
Oracle recommends applying initial change packages into DEV environments. Using Sentinel’s compare analysis, you gain full visibility into security differences when migrating into additional environments, such as TEST and PROD. Sentinel’s on-demand compare summary simplifies migrations and saves time on regression testing.
Recent Image Highlights and PUM Resources
Oracle releases Image Updates based on an outlined schedule, accessible through the PUM Home Page. In line with the PeopleSoft roadmap, we anticipate continuous PUM Image Releases through 2021 and beyond.
Outlined below are key takeaways and enhanced features from recent image updates. For a more detailed overview, we recommend checking out Oracle’s PSFT Youtube channel and Oracle’s PUM Home Page.
PeopleSoft HCM Image Update 37
- Chatbots – Recruiting Assistant
- Kibana Analytics – Health & Safety Dashboard
- Email & Phone Number Input Formatting
- Fluid Position Management
- Life Event Approvals & Documentation Uploads
- Effective Dates for Value Lists – Time and Labor
- Employee Self Service – Talent Profile Enhancements
- Applicant Outbound Texting – Candidate Gateway
- Page and Field Configurator
- Global Payroll: Retroactive Triggers & Global Payroll Brazil: eSocial S-1070
PeopleSoft FSCM Image Update 38
- Kibana Analytics – Purchasing & Receivables
- Run Control Data Update
- Email Notifications – Fluid WorkCenter
- General Ledger – Approval Workflow
- eProcurement – Edit Requisitions Checkout Options
- Billing Features
- Inventory – Cycle Count Process
- Asset Management
Stay tuned for our highlights on the upcoming release of PeopleSoft CS Image Update 20.
PeopleSoft Image Updates are delivered roughly every 10 weeks. Updates are cumulative, forgoing the need for sequential upgrades. With PeopleSoft Update Manager, you’ll benefit from the latest application releases and maintenance to further extend the value of your PeopleSoft systems.